The origins of the name Cellagrande derive from its location, in fact in the past stood a chapel called “Cella di San Michele” (now known as San Marco).
The Romanesque church still preserves the sacred stone and the bell tower, part of the Benedictine abbey of S. Genuario.
The abbey gently lies among the vineyards and the secular trees of the park overlooking Lago di Viverone.
The building, built in the first half of the thirteenth century, was long inhabited by the Benedictine monks, but from 400 B.C. passed into the hands of noble families.
In 1518 the Cella was incorporated into the Convent of San Sebastiano of Biella but later, in 1798, the monastic order was suppressed and the building was sold to private citizens who turned it into a private home.
The church, although restored with Baroque features, is based on the Romanesque conception, as evidenced by the outside semi-circular apse and the right side of the building.
The original style is fully preserved in the bell tower built with local stones and decorated with single and double lancet windows supported by columns.
We can affirm that this bell tower is one of the best-preserved Romanesque monuments in Biella.